Saturday, August 13, 2011

My first scratch built piece of furniture



Here is my first scratch built piece of furniture.  It is a kitchen sink for the the Tumbleweed House.  I think that it turned out pretty good for my first time at building a piece of furniture.  I thought I would share some pictures of the build.

The sink 

The sink started out as the clear bubble from an electrical circuit piece.  I think it might have been a resistor or something like that.  Anyway, the clear bubble was the perfect size for the sink, so I simply spray painted the underside of the clear bubble silver to mimic the finish on an old metal sink.

The base cabinet

I thought that I had taken some pictures of the construction of the base cabinet, but I guess that I didn't take them after all.  The base is very simple- it is basically a wooden box with  false drawers on the front.  In this picture, you can see the cut-out for the sink.  I was going to make drawers that would open, but decided against that once I got started working with the basswood.  Perhaps next time I will make the drawers work!

A test fit of the sink

Here is the base cabinet with the sink sitting in place.  So far, so good.

The painted cabinet

Next, I painted the cabinet a glossy white.  Then, I used small clear beads and jewelry hardware to make the knobs for the drawers.  I wanted the knobs to look like antique glass knobs.  The back splash was covered with scrapbooking paper that looks like country tile.

The finished product complete with fresh peaches!

I have to say that I really enjoyed making a piece of miniature furniture.  Is it perfect? Not quite, but it is just perfect for my little cottage.  Will I attempt another piece soon?  Absolutely, in fact, I want to build some kind of bed for the attic of the Tumbleweed House.  I have an idea for something.  Hopefully, I will get to start it soon.

With warm regards,
Stacy






2 comments: